Monday, July 27, 2009

Martha Stewart, JR

Lizzie is well on her way to being Martha's protege'! She really enjoyed 4-H this year and did pretty well. We entered in 5 projects. I used to do 10 or more + showing my horse, so I thought it was pretty do-able. Well, I didn't realize how much things had changed since I was in it 20+ years ago! Now it isn't just the project, you have to complete assignments in a manual. Well, the assignments were pretty tough, in my opinion. Anyway, once she got the assignments completed, then we started the actual projects. Another part of the problem was that we didn't really get started until school was out. When I was in it, that's what I did in the Summer, so I thought it would be the same. Well, with all those assignments, we were a little time-crunched. We'll know better next year! :)


It truly was a team effort! Nana helped her make her shorts for sewing (her favorite project). Grandma helped her with some of her cooking assignments. My aunt found the special poster boards we needed. The babysitter helped with some of the cat assignments. Poppy helped with ideas for the horse safety poster. And Tim & I helped with the rest!

Anyway, here are some pictures of what she did and the feedback she got:

Basic crafts - a dolphin paint-by-number: blue ribbon
Horse poster - safety with horses,
reserve champion!

Sewing - pair of shorts, blue ribbon
Cat poster - Cobby (body type)
cat breeds, Champion &
State Fair entry!

We don't have a photo of the muffinsshe baked for foods. They look a little putrid after a week in the 4-H building! We dropped the cat poster off at the extension office today. They will transport it down to the State Fair for us. We'll be going on August 18 and we'll check out how she did there!

Here's a photo of her awards for the Champion & Reserve Champion - this is also something they didn't do when I was in it! She's so excited to have trophies of her own - Nana had given her some of mine from when I was showing horses. But she earned these herself, so they're more special!

Reserve champion horse trophy on the left. Champion cat trophy on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment